French Linen

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One Week Away: Cathy’s Trial Exhibition

It’s Memorial Day Weekend and I’m spending it on Martha’s Vineyard. We arrived on Friday to a sunny and warmer than anticipated Island with temperatures up to 80 degrees. I looked up what the water temperature is supposed to be – a mile off shore at the bottom of the ocean, it’s about 55 degrees. I investigated at what temperature my wetsuit is supposed to keep me warm, and I’m still in the zone if the water temperature is in the fifty-something degree range. So, with a forecast of part sun and clouds and 70 degrees on Saturday, I announce to my family that I’m planning an ocean swim.

Saturday comes and it appears the weather has changed, as often happens here. I monitor the weather as if I’m a meteorologist monitoring a space shuttle launch. There’s not much sun in sight, the wind is coming in off the south at 11 mph, and the temperature is still as planned. Sun is still as forecasted for tomorrow. I call off the open swim “launch” and opt for a bike and run. Of course the sun still breaks through but at that point my spectators /assistants have made other plans. I do 10 miles on my slower, hybrid bike without proper pedals in 39 minutes and a 2 mile run in 17.5 minutes – my fastest run time yet.

On Sunday, the weather is again cloudy and not as planned but I’m determined to go forth with my maiden voyage. My parents and husband are active participants in my exhibition, which will include a practice transition from swim to bike. We arrive at State Beach – also known as baby beach for its calm waters - and the sun appears out of nowhere. I see one brave soul in the water without a wetsuit so I figure I can survive the cold temperatures with the wetsuit. I’m getting more efficient at putting on my new neoprene fashion du jour but now I must contend with sand and it still takes me 15 minutes of tugging and situating– about the same amount of time it will take me to complete the ¼ mile swim.

Finally, I make my dash for the water. It’s cool but it’s totally awesome to swim in May and feel warm in my suit. I make my way out just far enough that I can swim but still stand up. I start my freestyle swim running parallel to shore, and I feel like I’m moving faster than normal. The added buoyancy of the salt water must be helping. But, I do find myself getting out of breath after about 100 yards. Perhaps it’s the excitement of seeing all of the shells and a very large, live crab. I don’t have to worry about too much swim traffic. I do pass one other fellow wetsuited triathlete who is going in the opposite direction. (I assume he is triathlete because he is freestyle swimming without leg kicking, something many triathletes do to save their legs for the bike and run).

I turn around after 8 minutes of swimming for the return trip. I do find I have trouble getting into the “zone”, and I can’t quite get my breathing right. At least I feel comfortable that the wetsuit will help me float so I won’t drown – I just may not be as fast as I could be if I have to take breaks in the race like I’m doing today.

Approaching my original starting location, I run out of the water and practice reaching around with my left hand to unlatch the velcro and with my right hand to unzip the suit as I approach my mock transition area. The sand proves to be a bit of a challenge, but I pull off the suit inside out and not as fast I need to, and then about fall over trying to pull on my Asics with their new Yankz laces. These Yankz laces were a free sample at the Columbia multi-sport event and are supposed to allow for easy slip on without lace tying. Hmmm….more practice is needed.

I quickly put on my helmet and hop on the bike. I’ve decided since it’s only a 10 mile ride that I will wear my sneakers and use pedals with toe clips (an invention dating back to the 1860s!), rather than changing into bike shoes and then running shoes, in order to shorten transition time. My tri-suit, a 2XU, proves to be great – I don’t feel drenched, the built in bra provides just enough support, and the shorts provide just enough padding for the bike ride but aren’t too bulky for running. I’ve decided I can manage the tri without socks or biking gloves – everything the simpler the better.

So, one week away and I’m mostly excited! I’m a little nervous about the swim but somehow I know I’ll conquer it – there just may be moments when I’ll have to reset and get my breathing back in order. I think the fastest I could expect to complete race is 1h10 min (13 minute swim + 1 minute transition + 37 minute bike + 1 minute transition + 18 minute run). We’ll see – I’ll be happy just to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment