French Linen

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Top 10 Vacation To Do’s

This week was supposed to be a strong training week of swimming, biking and running on Martha’s Vineyard in preparation for my first Olympic Distance race in September.  Given the injury, I must now change course.  So here’s what planned:
1.       Swimming – Since this needs to be my primary form of exercise for the next month or so, I’ll be swimming most days.   And, Martha’s Vineyard is the perfect place for open water practice as I have a great swimming beach a mile from my house.  My swim coach Matt thinks I should be able to swim every day – that said, I’ll be listening to my body to make sure I don’t overdo it.
2.       Writing (hopefully Inspiring) – I’ve made a goal of a blog a day for the next week….whether readers are interested in what I have to say or not!  It will force me to look for inspiration and be creative.
3.       Reading – I went to the library yesterday and stocked up on books about running, cycling, and swimming techniques.
4.       Cheering – I told Mike that my injury is no excuse – we made a goal at the beginning of the summer to do as many 5Ks on the Island as we could so it’s up to him to keep it up.
5.       Entertaining – We’re looking forward to having friends join us next weekend.  Not being able to do our typical cycling routines with them is forcing us to think creatively of new activities.
6.       Kayaking – I’ve always wanted to explore some of our great ponds here and it seems like the perfect upper body, doctor approved exercise.
7.       Researching – What to do about my knee injury.
8.       Searching – For new athletic events and goals this fall into winter.  I won’t know what I can do for another month but just looking at the options gets me excited.
9.       Recruiting – A relay team to join me for the Martha’s Vineyard Triathlon.  With all this swimming, I’ll be ready to tackle the mile long ocean swim – I just need some able bodied legs for the other portions.
10.   Watching – Olympians strive to reach their potential.  It doesn’t get any more inspiring than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment