French Linen

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Tour of Richmond

For any of you bikers who appreciate a great venue, the Tour of Richmond is one of the best.  David did the century ride in 2012 and was so impressed, he wanted to go back again in 2013.  The first qualification for a great biking event is:  being safe and well organized.  There were volunteers or police at nearly every intersection, as well as lighted signs warning motorists of the event.  The after party was fantastic with music, beer, and southern pork barbecue.
By September my knee was pain free (save the road rash from my previous post) and I was ready to tackle the 30 mile course.  My son Derrick had recently taken up more riding, so we decided to do the event together.  I was confident that the 30 mile ride in October would be manageable, and I was looking forward to a beautiful fall day in Richmond.  Unexpectedly, the temperatures climbed to 90 degrees in the days leading up to the Tour.  I knew my biggest challenge would be dealing with the heat and staying hydrated.  The course was reasonably flat with a few rolling hills, I found myself chuckling when my fellow riders complained about the few small hills we had to tackle.  I had spent the last several weeks climbing the hills in Mount Gretna, PA which were 3 and 4 times the grade and length of the Richmond terrain.  Given the 90 degree temperatures I had to stop at each rest area for more liquids.   Derrick, being young and ambitious only stopped once.  In the last 10 miles the heat started to get to me, and the final leg of the race - around the searing blacktop track at the Richmond Speedway - was a killer.
David had a flat tire, and still managed to finish 164/410 for males doing the century, 105/286 in the Masters category, and 22/71 in his age group.
Derrick at his first major bike event finished 45/201 overall on the 30 mile course, 30/113 for males, and 2/4 for his age group.
I finished 65/201 overall, 18/88 for females, and 6/12 for my age group averaging 14.5 mph and finishing the 30 mile ride in 2:05.
We're looking forward to doing the event again, and my husband in the spirit of: if you can't beat em join em.. has taken up swimming!
Hopefully we'll be able to do a Tri together in 2014!





No comments:

Post a Comment