French Linen

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Journey 140.6: Gratitude

Diane, Eric & Barb were everywhere!
We have so much to be grateful for in completing our first full Ironman.  The weather cooperated for the first time after 2 70.3 races in torrential rain, a cancelled swim at Eagleman, and a cancelled Martha’s Vineyard race due to Hurricane Dorian.  Neither Mike nor I experienced any accidents or major injuries in our journey.  The race day mechanical Gods were on our side.  Neither of us had any severe reactions to the multiple jellyfish stings.  But most of all, we had amazing support from our friends and family.
The training got tough in August.  The long runs and rides cut into social time when we had summertime guests. My sister Barb had yummy brunches awaiting us and pre-made meals for our week ahead.  She made sure I was well stocked with biofreeze to treat my foot tendonitis.
Barb is a great nurturer!

Our Martha’s Vineyard Cycling Club was there for us on Sunday long rides, and some even rode further with us when our long rides turned longer than the ride.  Wayne, a former Kona competitor, would slow down his normally fast pace and keep me company, giving me advice on Ironman pacing.

The TriDot coaches and community were with me every step of the way.  From the Ironman race tips and race recon webinars to a call and reach out from Elizabeth James, one of the most caring coaches on the planet, I gained the confidence I needed to do a full Ironman.

Diane and Eric came for The Martha’s Vineyard Tri, but when it was cancelled became our training partners for a peak training weekend.  Diane accompanied me on my longest run and made 15 miles go by faster and easier than I imagined.  Eric miraculously didn’t stop after his intended 6 miles and kept going with Mike.  After the hurricane passed, we enjoyed a long ride around the Island. Diane accompanied me for my longest swim in choppy waters and helped boost my confidence that if I could complete 2.4 miles in those conditions in 1h50, I would be good come race day.

The Iron Parents & Dog!
Mom and dad watched Barb’s dog Bella so she could come support me at the race venue.  Numerous friends, family, colleagues and Philly Tri Club members tracked our progress during the race.  Every time I went over a timing mat I was reminded of the support I had in places as far away as Costa Rica, Germany and London.  When Mike and I were driving down to Maryland, I was playing his secretary while he drove.  I was so touched by his German client’s email wishing us both well that it brought tears to my eyes.

Diane & Eric presented the birthday cake!
During the race weekend, we were so touched and honored to have Diane, Eric and Barb as our support crew and cheerleaders.  From making dinner, creating a birthday cake for Mike and our housemate Linda, to picking up our gear and cleaning the AirBnB, they were there every moment.  They captured photos, video and loudly cheered us on.  In fact other people commented how they were EVERYWHERE on the course!

No one ever completes an Ironman alone.  Mike and I want to thank everyone from the bottom of our hearts who helped get us to the finish line and make the day special.

No comments:

Post a Comment