French Linen

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Middle Age is Cool!







Patricia Cohen's book "In Our Prime" and articles about it such as this one http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/books/in-our-prime-the-invention-of-middle-age-by-patricia-cohen.html have recently been expounding on the virtues of middle age. It seems that many of us are happier now than the previous three decades of our life. For we middle aged triathletes it seems like a bit of a chicken and egg question - did we attempt this sport because we have this new found confidence in our lives or did the sport change us and make us better and happier? I say both!

I recently celebrated my 44th birthday and as I look back at my 43rd year it beats my 33rd year hands down! I was googling myself recently just to see what kind of bread crumbs my life has left behind and I came across the results of my first - and only up until this past year - 5K run I did a decade ago, "the not quite New York City Marathon". My husband's company was sponsoring it and I recall deciding a couple weeks before the event that we would give it a go, going out and buying running shoes, taking a couple practice runs and showing up on a nice fall day in Central Park with no clue what to do with the timing chip.

Ok, so I wasn't exactly well trained for the event and my time in the race was 33:21. The two 5Ks I ran a decade later as a 43 year old came in at 27:52 and 27:47. AND, my two triathlon 5Ks after swimming and biking still beat my 33 year old self at 29:16 and 32:50!

I'm fortunate to agree with Patricia Cohen's premise. I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally stronger than I have ever been. One kind friend wished me a happy 29th birthday on a facebook post. I let him know that I'm proud to say I'm 44, and besides my age is a simple google away in my race records!

No comments:

Post a Comment