French Linen

Friday, August 24, 2012

I Feel Your Pain

I feel your pain is an overused expression, however in this case a relevant statement.  Cathy and I both had an MRI of our left knee within a week of each other.  Mine had been bothering me since the Tri, hers a more recent manifestation during a long run.  When she told me about her knee pain I said to have it looked at sooner rather than later.  Finally I took my own advice, and saw my family doctor in order to get an MRI and determine how serious my own knee issues really were.  I could bike 50 miles in a week and felt strong, but the nagging pain finally concerned me enough to take action.  Cathy has an articular cartilage defect, and was instructed no biking or running for 4-6 weeks.  This would mean no olympic triathlon for her, which was a disappointment.. but at least she could still swim.  I have narrowing of the lateral compartment, and arthritis -  and was told by the orthopedic doctor "no exercise for 3-4 weeks".  Naturally I assumed I would be permitted to swim, but the doc said - "zero exercise".  "WHAT?"  For the past 2 years I've been working out 3-4 times a week, and really enjoyed the "me time" now what would I do with myself?  I started out with an immediate shopping binge at the mall around the corner from the doctor's office!  Then I did the mani-pedi I had been needing.  I went to the gym and did arms and abs, at least it was something!  Then more shopping.  I went with some friends to lunch at the Tomato Pie Cafe, a delicious little place in Litiz PA.  Scheduled an oil change, and did more shopping with Mom while my car was in the shop.  I've been walking Bella, my morkie, who is most disappointed that we can't ride our bike with her basket on the front.  When I told her we were going to the Railroad Bed, she ran over to the bike - only to learn that we would be taking the SUV.  It's been 2 weeks, my knee is only a little better, and I'm getting bored and grouchy.  My husband says I'm turning into a "mean girl" so I tried more shopping.  I cleaned Derrick's room, and dusted some shelves that clearly hadn't been touched since he was a freshmen in High School.  I did another arm and shoulder workout on the equipment at the office.  I made 3 trips to the Jubliee Shop with donations of old clothes, and various housewares.  I made homemade pasta sauce, roasted peppers, and blanched ears of corn to freeze for the winter.  Now what?
Being injured is never fun, unless you have a hot masseur to rub your back... or maybe a cabana boy to bring you grapes and alcohol.   Now I'm getting delirious.  Finally I've become creative and made myself a piece of theraband to use for exercise at home.  If I keep it above my knees, I can do lateral leg raises, to work my thighs with resistance while not putting any force on my knee.  It's only been 2 weeks and I'm running out of ideas to keep me occupied.  I'm planning another trip to the gym for arms and abs, and also a company picnic for early September.  That should keep me busy for now...I'll do another post before my doctor's appointment mid September, with a status report on my knee pain and mental status after 4 weeks of rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment