French Linen

Friday, January 19, 2018

The Gang Is Back Together

It's been two years since I did a triathlon, last year I focused on more weekly cycling and longer cycling events.  My longest ride was the rather windy 50 mile Chocolate Tour with a time of 3:45; which was 15 minutes faster than the year before.  My friend Charlie and I also did the very windy but fun 30 mile Ride Around Valley.


The last Tri I did with Cathy and Diane was Quakertown, and since I was still injured couldn't train seriously (the way I wanted to) so my only goal was to have fun.  Goal accomplished, it was an awesome weekend with new and old friends, full of laughs and memories!   
My riding this past summer was very strong, but I was feeling a few pounds over my happy weight after eating more food for energy to keep up with my cycling miles.  This past November,  I stepped up my winter workout routine mainly for stress relief, and hit the lean and clean eating very hard.  Mental balance and physical strength were my main goals, but in an effort to have a leaner body composition I also lost a good bit of weight.  Usually if I am lean, I have no power on my bike; this year I am determined to find the keys to being BOTH lean and strong at the same time! 




  After 3 years of being unable to run more than a mile due to foot and knee injuries, I finally decided to give it one more try.  Starting with a few easy 1 mile runs, I realized that my foot and knee pain were less of an issue.  Next was the 2 mile mark, my times were horrible, but I was running without much pain.  Finally I completed a 3 mile run, which is what I need to do for a sprint Tri.  My thoughts of doing an event this year were slowly becoming more of a reality with every workout.
Next on the list was trying out my full wetsuit that I ordered last year.  I was considering doing the Philly Tri so I could have some shenanigans with Cathy and Diane again.  But there was no way in hell I would swim in the Schuylkill River without a full wetsuit!  Being a bit of a germaphobe, I really don't want to swim in that river at all, which is exactly why I eventually signed up for this event.  Sometimes life puts you out of your comfort zone unexpectedly, and sometimes you do it to yourself on purpose.  Swimming came back to me pretty easily, although the breathing will take a while to perfect again.
So in my "That's so Barb" fashion:  upon completing a 3 mile run, and enough laps in the pool that I was convinced I would survive a river swim, I signed up for the Philadelphia Tri in June!
I immediately texted Cathy and Diane to let them know, "The Gang Is Back Together" and I can't wait to see what new adventures the coming year brings.          

No comments:

Post a Comment