French Linen

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Journey 70.3: Reflections

My first half Ironman was also my first half Marathon
 A year ago, I signed up for my first Half Ironman.  I formally announced my journey in my December 31, 2017 blog entry “Journey 70.3: Getting Started”.  The journey to my first Half Ironman has been a success. Yet again, the transformation I see in myself is truly amazing….

A year ago, I was excited for new gear but at the same time scared to ride a Tri bike.
Now I can balance just fine and ride in aero with ease.

A year ago, I didn’t know if I would make the swim and bike cutoffs.
I made the swim cutoff with 16 minutes to spare and the bike cutoff with over 1 hour to spare.

A year ago, I had never run past 10K, and worried past injuries could come to bear.
I ran my first half marathon (2:14:29) in the rain on the same day I completed my first Half Ironman.

A year ago, I didn’t think I physically could do a full Ironman.
I finished my first half Ironman in 6:53:55 feeling good, and a belief that Anything is Possible.
Now riding with ease in aero


And along the way, I had an Olympic race PR, and ran my fastest 5K, and for the first time placed 2ndin my age group in a sizeable field in 5Ks – twice!

I often ask myself, why do I Tri?  Along with the wonderful camaraderie, it’s pretty simple – I see these amazing transformations happening in myself.  In wishing me congratulations, my friend Wayne posted this quote from professional triathlete Sarah True which I absolutely love:

The paradox of sport is that it’s both trivial and deeply significant.

It can be play, entertainment, and a luxury. But it’s also a celebration of what it means to be alive and to be human.

No comments:

Post a Comment