French Linen

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Staying Injury Free (Barb's Version)

So, I've been sticking to the 10% rule while increasing my workout times and distances.  I've been careful not to overtrain on running since that is my favorite part, and because I have some knee issues on my left (an ACL repair from my former life).  How did I do it you ask?  Well unlike my sister, I never worried about injury.  Ask her about the time we skateboarded down the steep hill at the Elementary School, after which I presented myself at Mom's PTA meeting with a bloody knee.  I'm sure Cathy dared me to do it.  I had plenty of road rash on my knees, hands, and elbows from doing hurdles on a cinder track in high school.  If I fell trying to get 3 steps in between hurdles instead of 4, so what -  that's what the 'cinder suds' were for right?
The ACL happened when I was 25 or 26 and taking karate classes, you can see where this is headed.  I was getting divorced (which is a whole other blog in itself) and I had stayed after the regular hour long class to practice some more flying side kicks.  The 6'4 instructor held the target straight out, and me in all of my 5'3" glory ran.. jumped up.. and kicked it hard.  The landing is another story.  I think my ankle twisted, which sent my knee out to the side.  I heard a snap, which was my ACL saying goodbye to the meniscus and cartilage I also damaged.  I researched the best orthopedic surgeon, and called in a favor from a college prof. who was his good friend to get me into the office fast.  After surgery, and 16 weeks of physical therapy, I had a new knee and new appreciation for staying injury free.  And... a date for my best friend's wedding!  (Also a whole other blog in itself.)  Long story short, I married my Physical Therapist a few years later.  When life gives you lemons ladies, don't just make lemonade.. add vodka and have a party.  A good friend observing my name changes and tumultuous events once said to me that my life wasn't exactly a soap opera.  It was more like a weekend miniseries, at which I laughed hysterically.
Fast forward to 2011 after 3 months of careful workout planning, I agreed to go for my first outdoor ride with my husband...  who is an insane bike rider.  I had already done the treadmill and laps in the pool, but he was happy we could ride together so who am I to disappoint?  We did over 12 miles and I felt really good.  Until Friday night when I realized my SI was out, and I quite possibly had a disc issue in my lower back.  Probably I did too much on Thursday but it didn't hurt at the time.  Fatigue is the culprit of many injuries.  This wasn't completely my fault, I told him what mileage I had been doing so he could gauge what sort of a ride to map.  Did I mention he is an insane bike rider who commonly puts in 40 to 60 miles?  What was I thinking?  Note to self:  do not let husband train me ever again.
My first thought, PANIC!  The Tri is 5 or 6 weeks away, these are supposed to be my best workout days!  My insane biker PT husband fixed the SI but my back is still sore.  I'm doing the exercises he recommends and hoping to get this under control fast.

My husband after completing the Gran Fondo ride in Philadelphia
On a good note:  the sleeveless wetsuit fits great and I used it at the pool last week.  I do feel like a mermaid and doubled the amount of laps I could do, so I would highly recommend some sort of wetsuit to all of the beginners out there.  Also I survived swim class tonight despite my
back which is starting to feel better thanks
to PT.
Funny:  I was so worried about my
back that I forgot to pack towels for
swim class.  Luckily I realized this in the parking lot and grabbed 2 Tribe Baseball "rally towels" from my car and another small towel I had in my  cargo hold for wet baseball games.  Moms carry a lot of junk in their cars, but it comes in handy sooner or later!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment