French Linen

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Martha’s Vineyard Half Iron Distance: GULPS and FIRSTS

Warming up
In the Spring we received the bad news that the Vineyard Warrior race would not exist this year.  A few weeks later we discovered some local Islanders decided to take on a new race – but, GULP, it was a 70.3 race.  When we opened up Triathlon Magazine and saw the “busy triathlete’s guide to training for a half Ironman” that came with a full 16 week training plan, the idea seemed plausible.  Fortunately there were also open water swim, aquabike and relay options as well.  Mike and I both started following the plan, keeping an open mind what event we would select.  In the end, I chose the aquabike and Mike diligently followed the plan for the whole thing.

Joining us this year for our annual Mayone MV tri-fest were our friends Diane and Eric from Philadelphia and Allison who flew in all the way from Dallas.  We also convinced our newly friended MV neighbor, Richard, to join in the fun.  Diane, Eric and Allison were to do the relay, but after Allison experienced an injury, we went searching for a new relay partner and found Jennifer.


Aquabikers take your mark
The 4:45am alarm came early but we awoke ready to go and out of the house at 5:30.  It was dark as we drove the 12 min ride to the race venue but Eric said he could see white caps in our usually calm State Beach, which was confirmed as we took a look at the swim course – GULP, 1.2 miles looked really long and the white caps extra challenging.  While I didn’t think I would wear my wetsuit, I decided I could be in the water a very long time and opted for it.

Go!
By 7:00 am, the less than 100 participants of the first MV half Iron distance race were on their way, including 6 open water swimmers, 9 aquabikers, 13 relay teams and 29 brave participants doing the full distance, including Mike.  As I kept trying to reach the first buoy, it felt like it wasn’t getting closer or was even getting farther away.  I think the current was carrying me towards shore and so I redoubled efforts to get to it and then made the right hand turn to head further out to sea to the next buoy and this was the hardest part as the chop was hitting me head on and it was difficult to see the buoy.  I could see a police boat which I thought was near it but as I made my way towards the boat, I realized I had to course correct to get around it.  By this time I had the longest stretch to go and thank goodness the chop lessened and I was not fighting the current as much.  The hardest part was seeing the buoys in the cloud cover and given the distance so I sighted often and the kayakers helped point them out when I got disoriented.  Once I rounded the final buoy, I had a ways to go to make myself back to shore, but I felt energized with the finish in sight.  After 1h 17min in the water, land never felt so good!  I later learned one person exited the water sick as a dog, her body no doubt expelling the seawater she GULPed – this was one tough swim.
Eric says get outta my way!


After 1h17 finally the swim finish
Back in transition, I wasn’t in as much of a hurry as in shorter races.  In the end, I just wanted to finish and knowing I had a long time on the bike and the weather was to clear, I had planned to reapply sun screen.  But then I heard the race director say, “you ladies may want to hurry – they are going to open the drawbridge soon!”   Now that’s a new, unexpected obstacle!  I went as fast as I could for the first few miles to the drawbridge and made it.  However, once I was on the bike, I realized I had forgotten to spray my face with sun lotion in my hasty transition.

I was glad we had driven the bike course the day before.  As much as Mike and I know the Island, we actually found ourselves on a few new roads.  The roads were in good condition and there are many great ocean and country views as you circumnavigate the 56 mile course.  I made it “Up Island” as we say (the western part of the Island to Aquinnah) feeling good, and briefly stopped at the aid station for some Powerade.  I was hoping they might have sun lotion too but no luck.  Knowing I would need one bathroom stop, I decided to stop at the Chilmark General Store for a pit stop – bathroom, buying sun lotion, and eating my Cliff bar.  The clock was ticking as I waited in line to pay for the sun lotion but rather than asking to cut the line, I decided I needed the break anyway, which probably in the end took 7 min off my time but hopefully added to my time on this earth.
Approaching the 56 mile bike finish


I knew by about mile 35 I would start to feel the aches and pains of being glued to my bike and for the last third of the ride, I found myself frequently checking my mileage and celebrating small victories.  I was also developing a severe chafing wound on my upper thigh.  I rode past the street to our house and made my way down the home stretch along scenic State Beach, my all-time favorite ride.  As I finally made my way to the finish line after a very long 5.5 hour workout, my friends were there to cheer me on, and I in turn had the great pleasure of cheering on Mike an hour later.  We had done it!
Richard and I celebrate success

Eric and Diane make great life and relay partners

Southern Belle Allison with her cow bell

Jennifer, Diane, and Eric had a great race

There was still another first we needed to do.  After lunch and the awards ceremony, we made our way back to our house and stopped at the infamous Jaws Bridge, which is known for its scene in the movie but also for the carefree bridge jumpers of all ages.  While most American towns would ban such a pastime for the liability, it is a celebrated activity on our “live and let live” Island.  Every year, Mike and I always say, “we should do it”.  With Eric and Diane’s prompting, and Allison’s photography skills, this was to be a new FIRST.  GULP….I hadn’t anticipated my fear of edges holding me back.  In our first attempt, Eric went and Mike, Diane, and I held back.  In our second attempt, Mike, Diane and Eric went but I couldn’t get myself over the edge.  Mike came to my assistance and while I couldn’t bring myself to gracefully stand and balance on the railing as he had, I did get both legs over and pushed myself off, realizing I would be really mad if I didn’t.  Eric and Diane jumped again to join me in the water.

Back at the truck, Eric awarded we bridge jumpers with a sticker, “I jumped off of Jaws Bridge” hence adding to the day’s awards and another first!


No comments:

Post a Comment