French Linen

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Inspiration for My Sister



Barb and I had fun last weekend training together. Her friend Kelly was great - swimming underwater to look at our form and giving us tips. I'm continuously improving my swimming and now swimming 50 yards regularly and this week started adding in 75 yards non-stop thanks to Kelly's tips. Barb and I had been talking about how great Kelly was and it was only through the course of the weekend that we came to realize that it was her son whom I had hosted when my nephew Derrick showed up at my house with 3 friends enroute to NYC and Boston on a road trip. I was glad I fed them all well as Kelly now returns a favor!

Barb and I encouraged each other in the pool, making us both wish we lived closer. In absence of being there, I offer Barb this sisterly love Valentine's Day inspiration:

Dear Barb,

When I was telling someone lately about our triathlon endeavor, I described you as always being "tougher and braver than me"! So, if I can do this, so can you!
Playing softball with the girls wasn't a challenge enough for you at age 8 so you had to go off and become the only girl on the boys' Little League team. I still remember your blond ponytail swaying through your baseball cap. It was always great when the "girl can't hit" calls came from the other team and you proved them wrong!

In gymnastics, you were always the first to try a new trick and somehow those muscles of yours had you flying over the vault or doing flips on the floor.

In track, you went for one of the toughest events -- hurdles. Your speed on relays helped take the team to State championships, and your picture still hangs in the high school hall of fame.

Now, after 22 years of helping your son become a terrific athlete, it's now time for YOU to again do what you love - being a brave and tough athlete! All those years as a parent will actually serve you well as you've had to learn patience, which is what we're both finding is required in learning how to swim and doing an endurance sport.
So, now you get to draw from all of life's training and lessons. And, as we saw last weekend, it will be fun doing it together.

Love,
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment