French Linen

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Next BHAG

Remember my previous blog about BHAGs - big hairy audacious goals? Now that I've completed 3 sprint triathlons and the season is pretty much over unless I would be willing to travel with gear via airplane to a warmer destination, it's time to set new goals. A month ago, I told my swim coach that my next goal would be to swim 1 mile non-stop freestyle by the end of the year. That would allow me to assess if I could do an Olympic distance race next year. I had visions of completing it exactly one year from the late December 2010 date I had my first swimming lesson with Matt.

So, within 2 weeks of setting the goal, he had me swim a mile worth of sets during one hour-long workout. The next week we did the same thing and in a subsequent swim I did 1100 yards non-stop freestyle in 30 minutes. Then, on Oct. 6, I decided I was ready to give it a try - I took it at a leisurely pace and completed at least 1800 yards (slightly more than 1 mile) in 51:22!

This isn't the first time I've set what I thought was a BHAG only to discover it wasn't so big, hairy, and audacious after all. NOW WHAT???? As visions of a Half Iron Man danced in my head, I had to remind myself that an Olympic triathlon will require me to dedicate 6-9 hours / week of training and that I have yet to run a 10K.

And so, the journey continues as I set out on my next goal for next season - an Olympic distance triathlon which will consist of a mile swim, 24 mile bike, and 10K run. It's a goal - whether or not it's BHAG enough is up for debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment