French Linen

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: Triathlon Transformations

Wow, what an amazing year! Little did I know a year ago when I started this blog and made my New Year's Resolutions what transformations would transpire. As my swim coach tells me, "we've come a long way." (and I could never have made it this far without him - thanks Matt!). A look back at my blog entries reveals just how far I've come:

A year ago I could barely swim one pool length (25 yards). Now I've done 2100 yards non-stop.

A year ago I was afraid to clip into bike pedals. I raced in them for my second and third races.

A year ago, I huffed and puffed running 2 miles. Now I can run 5 miles with ease.

I hyper-ventilated in my first open water swim in my June triathlon. I came in nearly last in my age category. By my third triathlon in September my swim time was no longer dragging down my overall placement. I finished in the top third of my age category.

I also have to laugh at how much of a gear loving jock I've become. As my friend Allison said describing herself, "I used to be such a girly girl.". This year I sported an Ironman watch along with open wounds. I sliced my foot on a shell and massaged my toes in geese shit. Neoprene became my fashion du jour.

I ate more bananas and apples. I drank less wine. I replaced cream cheese with peanut butter. I now know what electrolytes are. I actually consumed more calories. They became my friend rather than enemy as I needed them as fuel.

And best of all, triathlons connected me with others. Our first triathlon allowed my sister and me to connect over a common goal. I was able to rally some new recruits who also rave about their own transformations. And, had it not been for Barb and my February training weekend, I likely would not have seen my Grandmother one last time before she died.

All this thanks to triathlons!

No comments:

Post a Comment