French Linen

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Analyzing the Results

When people ask me how I did in the race, I'm pleased to say I was #1 for my state. Of course, I was the only Connecticut Yankee in the race. It's kind of like the Jamaican bobsled team theory. Of course, as I've said all along, I was just going to enjoy the journey and my real hope was just to finish and I did both.

My challenges in the swim impacted the rest of the race as time went on. Ok, I wasn't the slowest swimmer of the 269 participants and at least I didn't have to call it quits like the poor woman I encountered, but I was in the very tail end of the swim pack and the energy I expended really impacted the rest of my race as I was still trying to calm my breathing throughout the bike ride and into the run. While I had a decent bike time and made up a lot of lost time, by the time the running came, I could only manage a slow jog and I suffered from side stiches. At least I did have decent transition times.

As I look at the results, it's amazing to me how minutes can really make a difference. I finished at 1:22:11. I had calculated that I thought the best I could do would be 1:10 based on my training times. That would have put me in the top 60 of the 269 total participants and within the top 10 of my division of 38 women 40-44 -- quite a difference from being in the bottom 20% on both accounts.

If Barb and I took the best scores between us, which seems totally doable -- her swim and run and my transition times and bike, we would have scored in the top 100 overall. Looking at it that way, also makes me realize how well our division did -- we would have been in the bottom 40% of our division even though we would have been in the top 36% overall. Again, yeah for middle aged sisterhood! We did beat many people younger than us and a few men - go us! And, there were plenty of older women who beat us so I know we can still do better.

I did some things right -- I think for a short sprint like this one that didn't have many hills the decision not to wear bike shoes and save on the transition times was a good one. The slip on laces worked in the end and I was glad I had figured out a week before that I could go without socks. Just wearing a tri suit throughout the whole race worked well, and having the race belt for the run was easy.

I've just signed up for my next race - The Housatonic Valley Sprint Triathlon on Sept. 17 in Danbury, CT. As I have my eye on the next one, here's what I will do differently:


  • Continue to put extra focus on my swimming -- and fortunately now that summer is here, I can put in much more open water swimming. Barb said after the race that she thought the water felt "heavier" -- it certainly was harder to swim in than I anticipated. I wasn't sure how it could be "heavier" but in talking with people there seems to be a general consensus that lake water is "heavier" than pool water although in my online searching I haven't found proof of that. Salt water is heavier than fresh water which is why we float easier in salt water and it can be easier to swim in. So, in theory, heavier water should make it easier, not harder!

  • Will try and remember to start taking off the wetsuit as soon as I'm getting out of the water -- although I'm not sure in the end if it cost me -- that transition is a bit blurry

  • Get a little more organized at the start of the race. Barb's ideas of baggies with the equipment for each leg of the race sounds like a good plan!

  • Put additional focus on the run -- this will be a 5K (3.1 miles) so I've got more distance to do

  • Consider wearing bike shoes - I think this bike route may have more hills which could make the shoes worthwhile (Barb did pass me on the up hills) but I need to try out the shoes that have been sitting in a box for 2 months.

  • Remember to eat my banana! I forgot and perhaps the potassium would have helped to prevent the running side stitches.

  • Try to figure out a way to get more sleep the night before!

But, most of all, I will continue to just enjoy this journey. Now I can also inspire others to make their own journeys. I'm so happy my friend Allison is planning on joining me in the September race for her first triathlon. The journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment